Camping season is here (or almost here)! We took our first trip this past weekend. It was cold. But in the middle of our kitchen remodel we just really needed a break. We camped so much last summer that we had getting packed totally down, it was a sleek, organized process that took minimal time. It was great. And, we’ve forgotten how we did it already.
Since it was the first trip of the season, we did some other things to prepare that we don’t necessarily do before every trip. Making a quick check of things after the trailer & camp stuff had been sitting for several months helped to start the camping season off right!
Here’s what we did…
- Open up the trailer and look for damage, mildew, or other problems (some moisture/mildew in one corner. We cleaned it up and will watch that spot now)
- Review Camping Checklists and make sure what is supposed to be in the trailer is still there (things have trickled out over the last few months), and start gathering things from around the house.
- Flush out and clean water tank. Use a small amount of bleach and flush through a few times.
- Charge battery (Ours gives us problems if we don’t do this before a trip)
- Fill propane tanks
- Check any food still packed for freshness, replenish & replace as necessary
- Take out any extra stuff that piled up over last season that aren’t needed (we actually did this during our trip)
- Look back on last years camping reviews for any tips or things we learned (yes, we review all our trips. More on that soon).
Since its a little colder than we’re used to (California wimps!) just for this trip we also packed:
- More blankets
- Packed more layers of clothes
- More firewood
Finally, don’t forget to make reservations for the rest of the season! We brought a calendar with us on our trip and sat by the campfire one night and planned out our summer. Have you started to get ready for camping season yet?