Our kitchen/living/dining/entryway remodel is practically complete! As we’ve been wrapping up little finishing projects one large, ugly problem has surfaced. Our fireplace is right in the middle of our remodeled space and we haven’t touched it, so there it sits all its dated brick and brass glory. Ugh.
The kitchen was such an eyesore before the remodel (pictures of the finished kitchen soon!), that the fireplace sort of blended in. But now that the fireplace is looking so awful, I realized something had to be done! The longer term plan is to actually drywall over most of the brick, and maybe even the hearth. However, we just can’t take on another big project like that right now. My solution is to paint the brass fireplace doors and frame a matte black to at least take away the sparkling “look at me” effect. Below is a picture after the remodel, everything is nice and updated except the giant brick corner. (I’m sure at this point you’re getting just how much I dislike this thing!)
I hadn’t really spray painted that much before (I know, a sin in the diy blogging world!), so I was pretty nervous that I would somehow turn the doors into a sloppy, drippy, paint peeling mess. But, considering how ugly it already was, I decided to just go for it! I chose to use high-heat paint since we actually do use our fireplace.
- High-Heat Spray Paint
- Dust Mask
- Space to paint – I placed a sheet ramboard out on our concrete patio and that was plenty of space, and leaned the frame up against a sawhorse
Take apart everything & clean it (I actually just hosed it down!). If there is insulation on the backside of the door frames, be sure to remove it before hosing it down. Yep, I missed a couple of pieces and they ended up being a soggy mess!
Tape off any areas that won’t be getting paint (aka the glass doors)
Set up each piece so that you can get at all angles without touching the piece. I set mine out from a saw horse by leaning it against an extra scrap of wood that I nailed to a sheet of plywood.
The high-heat paint actually recommended to NOT prime the surface first, so I didn’t prime it. The paint covered well, so I think I made the right choice to actually follow directions (sometimes I think I know better and make my own rules when crafting, I say that works out for me only about half of the time!)
Overall it was probably about 5 light coats. Although I wasn’t that uniform about it, and just kept lightly touching up areas that needed more paint, with the exception of a good once over for the first and last coats.
Now the room is looking a lot more modern, and the fireplace doesn’t quite stand out so much.
Here’s the before and after. We also upgraded the lighting and mounted a sculpture in place of a mantel (we’re hunting for a piece of cool, old wood for a mantel). New paint and flooring were part of the bigger remodel, and are carried through the dining room, kitchen, and down the hallway. All together, I’m extremely happy with how our living room is shaping up!
P.S. I now fully understand the blogger obsession with spray painting things. It looks so good, I’ve already done three more projects!